Do you have questions about Skin Needling treatments?
Here is a list of our most frequently asked questions. Click the question link below to read the answer to your question.
Skin Needling FAQ’s
- What is Skin Needling?
- What can it treat?
- What are the benefits of having Skin Needling?
- Who are the best candidates?
- Contra-indications (Reasons you may not be suitable)
- How many treatments do you need and how often?
- How do you prepare your skin?
- What does Skin Needling feel like?
- What can you expect after the treatment?
- After care
- Possible side effects & complications
- How do you maintain the results?
- How much does it cost?
- Call us and book online
- See before and after photos of our clients.
What Is Skin Needling?
Skin Needling also known as Micro needling or Dermapen, is a procedure that uses multiple, fine needles or peels, to pierce the skin and create tiny injuries. These dermal injuries lead to new collagen formation via the normal skin peel repair mechanisms, enabling the deposition of new collagen.
The new collagen fills depressed scars and wrinkles from the bottom up lifting the depression so they are level with the surrounding skin. Is also great to help thicken thin, crepey skin, stretch marks, and for overall skin rejuvenation to improve the signs of aging.
This process takes 2-3 months to produce visible results and 6-9 months for full effects to be seen.
What Can It Treat?
- Thin crepey skin
- Lines & wrinkles
- Sun damage
- Enlarged pores
- Stretch marks
- Loss of elasticity
- Dull skin
- Signs of aging.
What Are The Benefits?
- Stimulates collagen production to plump the skin
- Reduces the depth of scars and indentations
- Perforates and softens fibrous scar tissue
- Improves the appearance of scarring
- Reduces lines and wrinkles
- Helps thicken thin, crepey skin
- Improves sun damage
- Helps reduce enlarged open pores
- Can improve the appearance of stretch marks
- Improves the overall appearance of the skin.
Who Are The Best Candidates?
- Both men and women of all ages
- All skin types and colours showing signs of aging, sun damage, scarring or stretch marks
- Anyone wanting all over skin rejuvenation.
Contraindications (Reasons why may not be suitable for you)
- Roaccutane use in the last 6 months
- Dermatitis or infection in the area to be treated
- Keloid scars
- Abnormal wound healing.
How Many Treatments Do You Need?
Each skin responds differently but will need multiple treatments at 4-6 week intervals, dependent on the initial condition being treated, and the desired outcome.
Skin needling takes approximately 30-40 minutes to complete though you will need to arrive 30 minutes prior to allow for the application of a topical anaesthetic.
How Do You Prepare Your Skin?
We recommend the skin is primed with active ingredients or best skin care products for at least two weeks prior to the treatment. This is to maximise treatment outcomes, assist in speeding the healing time and reduce the risk of possible complications. A specific skin care regime will be recommended to you at your initial consultation.
What Does It Feel Like?
What Can You Expect After The Treatment?
– This will vary according to the depth and intensity of the area being treated.
- Mild to moderate redness and sensitivity in the treated area lasting 12 to 48 hours.
- Mild to moderate swelling and possible bruising for 2-3 days.
- Dry and tight skin.
- Tiny crusted areas occur all over that feel slightly rough and give a tanned appearance.
- Varying amounts of flaking/peeling occur approximately 3 days after your treatment.
- After the skin has shed it has a healthy glow, feels softer, smoother and is more even in colour.
- It is important to protect the new skin from the sun by using a broad spectrum SPF 30+ sunscreen daily.
- Discontinue use of your active skin care
- Keep the skin moist with the product given to you, and make sure you apply it with clean hands
- Makeup is fine to use after 48hours, though just keeping the skin moist often looks better and assists in faster peeling time
- It is important to protect the skin from the sun by using a broad spectrum SPF 30+ sunscreen daily
- Continue your usual skin care routine once the skin is no longer sensitive.
Possible Side Effects and Complications
- If the healing skin is incorrectly cared for it can prolong healing and possibly lead to infection or scarring
- Possible herpes simplex outbreak if prone to cold sores
- Hyperpigmentation (darker areas of pigment on the skin) lasting 1 to 12 months.
How Do You Maintain The Results?
Daily use of your recommended skin care products and monthly treatments such as light Skin Needling, Glycolic & Lactic Acid Peels, Microdermabrasion or Sonobrasion will help maintain long term results and will be recommended to you by your Dermal Therapist during your initial consultation, according to your individual requirements.
How Much Does It Cost?
Call us on (08) 9300 3663, or book your initial consultation online now.
Before and After Pictures
Click the image to see the description and enlarge.