Do you have questions about Microdermabrasion treatments?
Here is a list of our most frequently asked questions. Click the question link below to read the answer to your question.
- What is Microdermabrasion?
- What can it treat?
- What are the benefits of having Microdermabrasion?
- Who are the best candidates?
- Contra-indications (Reasons you may not be suitable)
- How many treatments do you need and how often?
- How do you prepare your skin?
- What does Microdermabrasion feel like?
- What can you expect after the treatment?
- After care
- Possible side effects & complications
- How do you maintain the results?
- How much does it cost?
- Call us and book online
- See before and after photos of our clients.
What is Microdermabrasion (MD)?
Microdermabrasion is a mechanical form of skin exfoliation using a stream of abrasive diamond shaped crystals combined with suction. It exfoliates the upper layers of skin and stimulates collagen growth in the lower layers. The intensity can be varied to suit an individuals skin concerns, from a light exfoliation to deeper resurfacing.
Consequently, you see an improvement in skin texture, fine lines, fewer breakouts, refined pores, renewed elasticity, more even colouring and a more youthful appearance.
Microdermabrasion is often followed with Sonophoresis to provide deep penetration of active cosmeceuticals for additional skin improvements, or an Oxygen Infusion to provide the skin with vital nutrients for improved function and appearance which is especially beneficial for smokers.
What Can It Treat?
- Signs of aging
- Mild to moderate sun damage
- Loss of elasticity
- Fine lines & wrinkles
- Dry, rough or thickened skin
- Dull skin
- Mild acne, open pores & congestion
- Maintain a healthy skin condition
- Mild scarring.
What Are The Benefits?
- Reduces the signs of ageing and sundamage
- Improves acne and congestion
- Smooths and softens rough or thickened skin
- Improves and softens scarring
- Reduces fine lines
- General skin rejuvenation
- Maintains your skins health.
Who Are The Best Candidates?
- Both men and women of all ages
- All skin types needing a skin boost
- Good for those people who do not want any downtime.
Contraindications (Reasons why may not be suitable for you)
- Roaccutane use in the last 6 months
- Eczema or psoriasis in the treatment area.
- Cystic acne
- Recent sunburn
- Very thin, crepey skin.
How Many Sessions Do You Need and How Often?
Microdermabrasion is designed to be performed as a course of treatments. Initially it is recommended you begin with five weekly sessions; however lines, scarring and other severe skin conditions will take many more regular sessions which will be discussed with you during your consultation.
How Do You Prepare Your Skin?
What Does It Feel Like?
Depending on the condition being treated, Microdermabrasion can vary from a relaxing, mild abrasive sensation to quite an intense grazing for deeper, more stubborn conditions. Treatment intensities can be altered to your suit your individual comfort levels to ensure you are never too uncomfortable.
What Can You Expect After The Treatment?
- Mild to moderate redness and sensitivity (similar to a sunburn) lasting 12 to 48 hours.
- Skin feels dry and tight.
- Some darkened areas of skin may occur (this is skin preparing to shed.)
- Stronger treatments may get some flaking approximately 3 days after your treatment.
- After the skin has shed it has a healthy glow and feels softer and smoother.
- Most people go straight back to their normal activities.
- It is best not to apply make-up for around 3 hours.
- Keep your skin moist with the skin care provided to you.
- Continue with your usual active skin care once the skin is no longer sensitive.
- Your skin will be a little more sensitive to the sun so keep sun exposure to a minimum. Please wear a hat and sunscreen daily. This should be a regular routine for you anyway.
Possible Side Effects and Complications
- Crusting (this is the skin in preparation to exfoliate) lasting 2 to 7 days
- Possible superficial bruising lasting 24 to 48 hours
- Infection leading to a scar, if areas of crusting are not cared for correctly
- Hyperpigmentation (darker patches of pigment on the skin) lasting 1 to 12 months.
How Do You Maintain The Results?
How Much Does It Cost?
Call us on (08) 9300 3663, or book your Microdermabrasion treatment online now.
Before and After Pictures
Click the image to see the description and enlarge.