IPL Photo Rejuvenation or ‘Photofacials’ are an effective way to even out your skin tone on any area of the body, while producing firmer, smoother and younger looking skin with each treatment, so you feel more confident without the need to apply makeup or cover up.
Sun-damage, acne, hormones and numerous other factors can cause pigmentation, age spots, scarring, blotchy, red and uneven skin tones, resulting in a dirty, and aged appearance.
IPL Photo Rejuvenation FAQ’s
- What is IPL Photo Rejuvenation?
- What can it treat?
- What are the benefits of having IPL Photo Rejuvenation?
- Why have IPL Permanent Photo Rejuvenation with CosMedical Skin Solutions?
- Is your skin suitable for IPL treatment?
- Contra-indications (Reasons you may not be suitable)
- How many treatments do you need and how often?
- How do you prepare your skin?
- Who will perform your IPL treatment?
- What does IPL Photo Rejuvenation feel like?
- What can you expect after the treatment?
- After care
- Possible side effects & complications
- How do you maintain the results?
- How much does it cost?
- Call us or book online
- Important Information!
- See before and after photos of our clients.
What Is Intense Pulsed Light or IPL Photo Rejuvenation?
IPL photo rejuvenation is a popular, non-invasive treatment used to significantly improve many skin conditions under the right conditions (See Important Information below). It uses specific wavelengths of light to simultaneously target pigmented and vascular lesions in the skin (brown and red pigments), while stimulating the production of collagen.
What Can It Treat?
- Flat, benign pigmented lesions (freckles, sunspots, age spots and general pigmentation.)
- Facial vascular lesions, and telangiectasia (spider veins, broken capillaries and red spots.)
- Diffuse redness, rosacea, red scarring and stretch marks.
- Campbell de Morgans spots or cherry angiomas (red spots of varying size.)
- Poikiloderma (redness, pigmentation and a spotty look to the neck and/or décolletage.)
- Uneven and blotchy skin.
- Skin firmness and pore size.
- Sun damage.
- Acne breakouts.
What Are The Benefits?
- Younger looking skin with more even colouring.
- Reduction or removal of freckles and pigmented lesions.
- Reduces redness and visible blood vessels.
- Removes red spots such as cherry angiomas and Campbell de Morgans spots.
- Increased firmness.
- Reduces oily skin and breakouts.
- Reduces pore size.
- Improves Rosacea symptoms
Why Have IPL Photo Rejuvenation with CosMedical Skin Solutions?
- Our Medical grade IPL treatments will provide visible results with less treatments.
- We recommend 2-6 treatments spaced at the correct interval times, according to the condition being treated and its location.
- We are fully qualified and highly experienced Dermal Therapists and IPL & LASER Safety Officers.
- Our Director has more than 20 years industry experience and has performed well over 20,000 IPL treatments for photo-rejuvenation and permanent hair removal in a medical setting, and is also an experienced IPL trainer and assessor.
- We provide you with a comprehensive consultation so you can make an informed decision.
- We provide test spots to reduce the risk of complications and optimise results.
- We are one of the few exclusive clinics in Perth to use the StarLux 500 IPL & LASER platform by Palomar Medical Technologies. It incorporates the most advanced technologies proven to achieve better results than most gold standard LASERS and allows for fewer treatments, and provides safer, more comfortable treatments.
- We are results driven! Just see our testimonials and view before and after photos of our actual clients.
Is Your Skin Suitable For IPL Treatment?
In order to select the correct skin type for IPL treatment, the table below is used to classify skin according to its melanin (pigment) content and the skins reaction to the sun. The lighter the skin type, the more suitable it is for IPL treatment.
|Skin Type||Classification||Colour||Indication for IPL|
|I||Always burns easily and never tans||White||Best skin for IPL treatment|
|II||Burns easily and tans minimally||White||Good skin for IPL treatment|
|III||Sometimes burns and tans gradually||White||Good skin for IPL treatment|
|IV||Burns minimally and always tans||Moderate||Acceptable skin for IPL treatment|
|V+||Rarely burns, naturally dark skin||Dark Brown+||Not recommended for IPL treatment|
Contraindications (Reasons why IPL may not be suitable for you)
- Recent sunburn
- Unprotected sun exposure or solarium use 4 weeks prior to treatment
- Application of fake tan prior to treatment
- History of seizures
- Severe dermatitis or eczema (within the treatment area)
- Active infections
- Roaccutane use in the last 6 months
- Herpes 1 or 2 (within the treatment area)
- Very dark skin
- Photo sensitising medications are best avoided.
How Many Treatments Do You Need?
- Treatment of benign pigmented lesions generally requires 1-3 treatments performed approximately every 7-28 days or once all the darkened cells have sloughed off.
- A 70-90% reduction of pigmentation can be expected. Recommended skin care and strict sun protection help to maintain results for much longer. Visible improvements are seen with each treatment.
- Vascular lesions or diffuse redness generally require 3-4 treatments at weekly intervals to achieve the best results. This is so we can progressively destroy the vessels without damaging the surrounding skin.
- Best results are seen 3 weeks after the last treatment.
IPL Photo rejuvenation treatments will also stimulate the production of collagen and many patients find that their skin feels firmer, smoother and looks clearer after a course of treatments.
|Region||Time Between Sessions|
|Arms||3 – 4 weeks|
|Hands||3 – 4 weeks|
How Do You Prepare Your Skin?
- Discontinue sun exposure 4 weeks prior to your treatment.
- Do not use fake tan 1-2 weeks prior to your treatment.
- Use your recommended active skin care and an SPF 30 daily.
- If you have dark hair in the treatment area, please shave the area before your IPL session.
- If you have a history of herpes close to the area being treated, it is recommended that you take antiviral medication before the treatment (This will be available from the chemist).
Who Will Perform My IPL Treatments?
What Does It Feel Like?
Each pulse of light usually feels like a hot elastic band snapping on your skin. This is due to the light converting to heat in the targeted cells. Due to the advanced technology of the StarLux 500, patient comfort is substantially better than any other medical grade system.
What Can You Expect After The Treatment?
- Most people will experience a sunburn like sensation that lasts 2 to 5 hours and is often associated with mild to moderate redness. The treated area is generally sensitive to heat for 2 days following treatment.
- After treatment of pigmented lesions the lesion will go darker sometimes almost black, then will fall off within 7 to 28 days (depending on the area of the body) or it will just gradually fade.
- After treatment of vascular lesions they will either disappear immediately or appear grey or purplish in colour. Diffuse redness immediately appears a lot redder then gradually lightens within 2-3 weeks. Vascular treatments generally require at least 3 weekly treatments for best results.
- Acne skins may sometimes have a breakout after treatment, due to the bacteria being purged from the follicle.
- A sunburn-like sensation is expected for about 2-5 hours after the treatment. If this is uncomfortable apply cold compresses or ice to the treated area.
- Your skin maybe temperature sensitive for the following 2 days, so do not use very hot water for your shower or bath.
- Please protect you skin from the sun!
- Do not exfoliate the skin for 1 week after the treatment.
- Your skin may be more sensitive to certain skin care products so please use the products provided to you.
- Do not pick blisters or skin crusting as this may lead to a scar!
- If you have any questions or concerns, please call the practice.
Possible Side Effects and Complications
Unfortunately, there are some potential complications with IPL treatments. At CosMedical Skin Solutions we perform test spots within 3 days of your actual treatment, to allow an accurate evaluation of the skins response. This improves the outcome and significantly reduces potential complications, which include:
- Prolonged redness and swelling lasting up to 4 days may occur.
- Darker patches of pigment on the skin may occur a couple of weeks after treatment. (this is not the immediate darkening of pigment we expect when treating pigmentation) This can last from 2 weeks up to 1 year and can be treated with a special cream. You are more at risk of this occurring if you have a darker skin type.
- Whiter patches on the skin can occur. This can last 2 weeks up to 1 year, though also has the potential to be permanent. You are more at risk of this occurring if you have a darker skin type.
- Blistering rarely occurs and will usually settle within 2 hours with application of ice. If you do get a blister, it is important that you don’t pick it as it may leave a scar.
- There is a possibility of coincidental permanent hair loss in the treatment area.
- Results may not be exactly as desired.
How Do You Maintain The Results?
Daily use of your recommended active skin care and sun protection, along with monthly treatments such as Sonobrasion, Microdermabrasion or Glycolic & Lactic Acid Peels to help maintain healthy skin.
These will be recommended by your Dermal Therapist. Additional IPL treatments can be administered when necessary, if the pigment or redness returns or can also be performed monthly to maintain results and continue improving the overall appearance and firmness of the skin.
How Much Does IPL Photo Rejuvenation Cost Per Session?
IPL test spots are charged a $50 fee which is reimbursed on your first treatment
- Spot treatment – From $ 75
- Full face – $395
- Half face – $280
- Quarter face – $165
- Neck – $340
- Décolleté – $340
- Neck & décolleté – $590
- Hands – $270
- Lower arms – $430
- Full arms – $615
- IPL Photo rejuvenation + hands (with other IPL PR treatment) – $200
- Stomach – $485
- Women’s upper back – $595
- Women’s full back – $970
Pay for 3 get 15% discount * Does not apply with other discounts/promotions.
If you would like further information, we recommend you come and see us for a consultation where we will discuss this in more detail and will happily answer any further questions you may have.
We will also perform test spots if your treatment is booked within the following 3 days and in some cases we may be able to treat the area during this appointment.
Call us on (08) 9300 3663, or book your initial consultation online now.
Before and After Pictures
Double click the image to see the description and enlarge.
Intense Pulsed Light is currently unregulated in Australia. No qualifications or experience are required to provide IPL treatments. This has unfortunately led a large number of IPL providers in Perth having no qualifications and using cheap, substandard equipment without knowledge of the skin, or basic light physics. This is unfortunately resulting in either permanent scarring, long term complications or no visible results even after having a large number of treatments.
Increase your chances of a successful and safe treatment by ensuring your provider has the following:
- Your provider should be experienced and hold formal qualifications such as a Dermal Therapist or an IPL & LASER Safety Officer so you can be confident they understand this process thoroughly, and can perform treatments safely and effectively.
- Medical grade equipment registered with the TGA that will produce enough power to achieve visible results, and incorporates advanced technology to provide safer, more comfortable treatments.
- Optimal treatment settings should be determined with test spots in the actual treatment area within 3 days of your first treatment.
- Treatments must be performed at the correct interval times to ensure effectiveness and is usually between 7-28 days depending on the area and what you are treating.
Ensure you do your research before choosing your provider and remember there’s a reason why many places are so cheap. Don’t spend hundreds and often thousands of dollars on ineffective treatments or risk permanent scarring!