Do you have questions about Glycolic and Lactic Acid Peel treatments?
Here is a list of our most frequently asked questions. Click the question link below to read the answer to your question.
Glycolic & Lactic Acid Peels FAQ’s
- What is a Glycolic & Lactic Acid Peel?
- What can it treat?
- What are the benefits of having a Glycolic & Lactic Acid Peel?
- Who are the best candidates?
- Contra-indications (Reasons you may not be suitable)
- How many treatments do you need and how often?
- How do you prepare your skin?
- What does it feel like?
- What can you expect after the treatment?
- After care
- Possible side effects & complications
- How do you maintain the results?
- How much does it cost?
- Call us or book online
- See before and after photos of our clients.
What Is A Glycolic & Lactic Acid Peel? (20-70% non-neutralised)
Glycolic acid is an Alpha-Hydroxy Acid (AHA) which naturally occurs in sugar cane, it has the smallest molecular size of all the AHA’s allowing it to better penetrate the skin. Lactic acid is also an AHA which naturally occurs in milk and is known for its superior hydrating benefits.
These superficial chemical peels are beneficial for any skin type and are designed to achieve skin improvements when performed in a series of weekly treatments without any downtime. They are applied to the skin in various strengths ranging from 20-70% for varying time frames, depending on the desired result and skins response.
They loosen the thickened surface layers that appear as dry, rough, scaly skin and stimulate the production of collagen in the deeper layers, whilst providing hydration. As the uppermost layers are sloughed away, a smoother textured and healthier, glowing skin is revealed.
What Can It Treat?
- Signs of aging
- Mild to moderate sun damage
- Loss of elasticity
- Fine lines & wrinkles
- Dry, rough skin
- Dull skin
- Mild acne, open pores & congestion.
What Are The Benefits?
- Helps to break down the cross linkages between aging skin cells.
- Speeds up the cell turn over rate.
- Helps stimulate collagen production and other skin molecules to produce plumper, more even skin.
- Rejuvenated skin is smooth and has a more youthful glowing appearance.
- Reduces fine lines.
- Age spots lightened.
- General pigmentation problems may be reduced.
- Acne improved and large pores become less prominent.
- General skin rejuvenation and maintenance.
Who Are The Best Candidates?
- Both men and women of all ages.
- All skin types showing signs of aging or acne.
- Good for people who don’t need or feel ready for deeper resurfacing.
- Lower strength peels are good for those people who do not want any visible peeling.
Contraindications (Reasons why may not be suitable for you)
- Allergies to glycolic or lactic acid.
- Roaccutane use in the last 6 months.
- Dermatitis or infection in the area to be treated.
- Abnormal wound healing.
How Many Treatments Do You Need and How Often?
4-6 peels at weekly intervals are recommended for noticeable improvements. More or less may be required depending on the condition being treated, your desired results, the strength of the peels and home skin care regimen.
How Do You Prepare Your Skin?
We usually start a series of peels with the lower percentages for shorter time frames, and build up in strength. This means no skin preparation is necessary, though better results will be achieved when using active skin care recommended by your Dermal Therapist.
What Does It Feel Like?
What Can You Expect After The Treatment?
- Lighter peels may not produce any after effects, except for smooth, firm, glowing skin.
- Those with sensitive skin or having stronger peels may experience some redness and warmth.
- Dryness and tightness may occur before the skin flakes or peels.
- Varying degrees of flaking may occur after a few days and stronger peels may have significant peeling.
- The effectiveness of the peel is not determined by the presence or extent of visible peeling.
- Most people go straight back to their normal activities.
- It is best not to apply make-up for around 3 hours.
- Keep your skin moist with the skin care provided to you.
- Continue with your usual active skin care once the skin is no longer sensitive.
- Your skin will be a little more sensitive to the sun so keep sun exposure to a minimum. Please wear a hat and sunscreen daily. This should be a regular routine for you anyway
Possible Side Effects and Complications
- Darkening or crusting of the skin may occur in areas where the peel has penetrated deeper
- Ensure you don’t pick this or it may cause an infection and leave a scar
How Do You Maintain The Results?
Daily use of your recommended skin care products and monthly Glycolic & Lactic Acid Peels will help maintain long term results and will be recommended to you by your Dermal Therapist during your initial consultation, according to your individual requirements.
How Much Does It Cost?
- $ 110.00 each
- $600 for a series of 6 which is highly recommended for best results.
Call us on (08) 9300 3663, or book your initial consultation online now.
Before and After Pictures
Click the image to see the description and enlarge.