1540 Non-Ablative Fractional Laser Treatments FAQ’s
- What are 1540 Fractional Laser Treatments?
- What can the 1540 Fractional Laser Improve?
- Contra-indications (Reasons you may not be suitable)
- How many treatments do you need and how often?
- How do you prepare your skin?
- What does Fractional Laser feel like?
- What can you expect after the treatment?
- Pre-Treatment Instructions
- After care
- Possible side effects & complications
- How do you maintain the results?
- How much does it cost?
- Call us and book online
- See Before & After photos of our clients.
What Are 1540 Non-Ablative Fractional Laser Treatments?
The 1540 fractional laser provides non-ablative skin resurfacing with minimal downtime and discomfort. It’s a proven approach to skin rejuvenation that uses laser microbeams to create columns of coagulated tissue deep in the skin, while leaving the surrounding tissue unaffected, resulting in faster healing and reduced side effects. This allows the body’s natural healing process to rebuild the treated tissue with new collagen and elastin, which are the building blocks of youthful-looking skin.
This is a safe and effective procedure for many skin types and can be applied to most areas of the body including the neck, chest and hands to provide a smoother tighter texture, and fresh, glowing skin. HIFU and IPL Photo-Rejuvenation are often performed on the same day to provide additional benefits.
Approval from our Protocol Doctor prior to treatment is required to ensure your suitability.
What Can The 1540 Non-Ablative Fractional Laser Improve?
- Fine lines and mild to moderate wrinkles
- Pigment irregularities age spots and melasma
- Stretch marks
- Crepey skin
- Scarring and acne scars
- Sun damage
Contraindications (Reasons why you may not be suitable)
- Impaired healing response due to illness or medication.
- History of light-induced seizures.
- Skin cancer.
- Active infections/Immunosuppression.
- Open lesions, eczema, psoriasis dermatitis or infection in the treatment area.
- Active herpes breakout in the treatment area.
- Blood clotting disorders.
- Keloid scar formation.
- Isotretinoin (Roaccutane®) use 6-12 months prior to treatment.
- Anti-coagulant or blood-thinning medications. (See your prescribing physician for approval to discontinue medications at least 2 weeks prior to and throughout a light-based treatment course.)
- Systemic steroids (e.g., prednisone, dexamethasone) prior to or during the course of treatment.
How Many Treatments Will I Need?
1540 Non-Ablative Fractional Laser Treatments are designed to be performed in a series of 3-6 treatments and are performed at fortnightly or monthly intervals depending on the skin condition, area, treatment intensity and desired outcome.
How Do You Prepare Your Skin?
We recommend the skin is primed with active ingredients for 1-2 weeks prior to the treatment. This is to maximise the outcomes, assist in speeding the healing time, reduce the risk of possible complications and help maintain the results.
What Does It Feel Like?
The sensation of laser light is sometimes uncomfortable and may feel like a moderate to severe pinprick or flash of heat. However in most cases we apply topical anaesthetic so there is no discomfort at all.
What Can You Expect After 1540 Non-Ablative Fractional Laser Treatments?
- Varying degrees of redness, swelling, heat or tightness in the treated areas immediately post treatment which can last up to 2-3 days or longer, depending on treatment intensity. You will notice the most swelling the morning after treatment, particularly under the eyes
- Your skin may appear bronzed or little dark dots may appear and it feels like sandpaper. It may also feel dry and flake or peel which will take between 3-7 days. Areas of the body can take up to 2 weeks.
- Once the dead skin has sloughed off, the new underlying skin may appear pink for up to 3 weeks but can be covered with make up.
- Recovery is relatively fast and depends on various factors including treatment area and intensity. This will be discussed with you at your consultation.
- Pre & Post treatment instructions will be given separately
Pre Treatment Instructions
- Avoid unprotected UV sun exposure for a minimum of 4 weeks prior to treatment. It is recommended you avoid unprotected UV exposure throughout the duration of your treatments
- Wear a minimum broad spectrum SPF 30+ (UVB/UVA) daily
- The use of active skincare products recommended by your Dermal Therapist will help prepare the skin for treatments and enhance results
- Discontinue using prescription vitamin A or high-strength over the counter retinol 5 days before your treatment unless advised otherwise
- If you have a history of herpes/cold sores, you may wish to take anti-viral medication prior to treatment, to prevent an onset.
- Any raised or suspicious lesions CANNOT be treated with Laser unless written approval is received by your doctor
- Do not use fake tan on the proposed area for 2 weeks prior to your treatment
- We recommend waiting at least 2 weeks after areas treated with muscle relaxants or dermal fillers and they must be completely healed (eg. no swelling, bruising, redness or discomfort) before any skin treatment can be performed
- Do not have waxing done or anything that may cause trauma to the skin during the healing phase. Please phone the clinic if any medication or life style changes occur between now and your next treatments, so we can advise on the appropriate action
- Application of cool packs immediately following treatment and for 10 minutes every hour until you go to bed to help alleviate redness, discomfort, swelling, itchiness and stinging
- Sleep elevated the first night especially for treatments around the eyes and face to reduce swelling the next morning
- Gentle cleansing is permitted after treatment. Only use non-irritating gentle formulations such as Cetaphil®
- Stop using all active products on your skin immediately after treatment and only use non-irritating, non-comedogenic moisturisers or gels such as Cetaphil® or Stratamed® when needed to keep the skin moist and avoid drying out, becoming crusty. When your skin no longer feels sensitive, you can resume your usual skin care regime NOTE: Avoid heavy formulations as some may exacerbate acne breakouts
- Wear a minimum broad spectrum SPF 30+ (UVA/UVB) daily and avoid unprotected UV (sun) exposure.
- Avoid makeup for 24-48 hours after treatment
- Avoid smoking and excessive alcohol consumption for the first week
- Avoid chlorinated pool water for 24-48 hours
- Avoid excessive exercise & heat inducing activities for 1-3 days after treatment such as hot showers, spa, sauna,
- Remember that dryness, itching, peeling and/or flaking is normal and expected during the healing process. Ensure you keep the area moist and do not pick or scrub at any treated areas as this may increase your chances of infection and scarring
- Avoid injury, waxing, tanning beds and self tanning creams for at least 2 weeks after treatment
- Avoid tight clothing in the treatment area
- If you have any concerns with your treatment please contact CosMedical Skin Solutions immediately so we can advise on post care instructions.
- If you have any extreme reaction, seek immediate medical attention
Potential Side Effects & Complications
– associated with more intense treatments.
- Broken capillaries or tiny blood spots may occur after treatment and typically resolve without intervention in 1-3 days.
- Pigmentary changes (either lighter or darker) may occur most often with darker coloured skin and after exposure of the area to the sun. This usually heals in 3-6 months but in rare circumstances may be permanent.
- Oozing, scabbing, bruising, or blistering may occur, and usually heal within 1-2 weeks, though may result in scarring or hyperpigmentation especially if picked during healing
- Blanching and significant redness
- There is a risk of resulting unsatisfactory appearance and failure to achieve the desired result
- There is the possibility of coincidental hair removal with treatment to hair-bearing areas. There is a risk that the hair regrowth may be changed, such as little or no regrowth or more regrowth than before
- Acne breakouts
- Infection, potentially resulting in scarring (If the skin becomes red and very painful, you may have developed an infection and must see your doctor at once)
- If you are prone to herpes blisters (cold sores) then you are likely to develop an infection. We recommend you see your doctor for a suitable anti herpetic preparation prior to treatment such as Zovirax®
- Contact our clinic immediately if you have any issues or concerns following the treatment
How Do You Maintain The Results?
How Much Does It Cost?
Call us on (08) 9300 3663, or book your initial consultation online now.
Before and After Pictures
Click the image to see the description and enlarge.