Extrinsic and Intrinsic Aging
There are in fact two distinct types of aging.
- Intrinsic – Aging caused by the genes we inherit is called intrinsic (internal) aging.
- Extrinsic – The other type of aging is known as extrinsic (external) or premature aging and is caused by environmental factors, such as exposure to the sun’s rays.
- See also – Premature Aging and Sun Damage.
Intrinsic aging is also known as the natural aging process that normally begins in our mid-20s and is progressive. Within the skin, collagen production slows, and elastin, the substance giving the skin its elastic properties, has a bit less spring.
Dead skin cells don’t shed as fast and there is a decrease in new skin cells production. While these changes usually begin in our 20s, the signs of intrinsic aging are typically not visible for decades.
Signs of Intrinsic Aging
- Fine wrinkles
- Thin and transparent skin
- Loss of underlying fat, leading to hollowed cheeks and eye sockets as well as noticeable loss of firmness on the hands and neck
- Bones shrink away from the skin due to bone loss, which causes sagging skin
- Dry skin that may itch
- Inability to sweat sufficiently to cool the skin
- Graying hair that eventually turns white
- Hair loss
- Unwanted hair
- Nail plate thins, the half moons disappear, and ridges develop.
- Non-Surgical Lifting, Skin tightening & Wrinkle Treatments
- Fractional Laser Resurfacing
- LED Light Therapy
- Skin Needling
- TCA Peel
- Glycolic Acid Peels
- Active skin care formulations.
We recommend you see one of our Dermal Therapists for an initial consultation, where a personalised treatment program will be designed to address your individual needs and concerns.
Call us on (08) 9300 3663, or book your initial consultation online now.